Saturday, August 2, 2008

Week 14

The highlight of week 14 had to have been The 2008 Breast Cancer 3-Day Expo. It was held on Saturday in Atlanta. Kristen couldn’t get away so I traveled solo to Jean and Lynn’s or, as I referred to it as, “The Devil Went Down to Georgia.”

The Expo began at the Loudermilk Center with an option of doing either a five- or 10- mile walk. We opted for the five (I know, big surprise!) The walk was interesting, at least to me, since it was totally different scenery. We passed the Olympic Park, Georgia State, the Georgia Dome and the Aquarium where we were serenaded by the sea lions.

Once back at the Center, there was fruit, granola, bagels, cookies, etc. Which brings me to an interesting fact—some walkers gain between five and 10 pounds on the 3-day. This is not encouraging news, people! On the days I walk the prescribed number of miles, I’m usually too tired to eat, but I will note that I haven’t lost any weight either. Hmmm. I think the four of us are going to try some weight control now.

Most of the Expo was heavy with retail, but interesting nonetheless. The three of us went to the Training Tips and Tricks workshop. One of the more interesting of the tips was which pair of shorts/pants are the best to wear for the Port-A-Potty. This is probably more info than you want, but for some of us it could come in handy. Of interest to almost everyone, is the fact that those dryer sheets we all use to soften our clothes will leave a film on your clothes. This film plugs up the “pores” of your clothing. So, if you want your clothes to breathe don’t use the sheets.

The most moving of the displays/demonstrations that day was the Memory Tent. This is a white tent where last year’s participants had written notes on the sides of the tent in honor of, memorial of, or encouragement to walkers. Last year at the 3-Day, Jean had written a memorial for our mom and for my mother-in-law, who had just passed away. The tent is covered with sweet, sassy and heartfelt messages, but the one that jumped out at me was from a man who said he walked in memory of his wife and daughter. Heavenly stars, his wife and his daughter!

On a happy note, this was Jean’s ­­­birthday weekend. So the three of us went to dinner to celebrate her second 29th. Our choice was Pasti’s in Roswell (our hometown). I’m very proud of Roswell and how the town has preserved the historic buildings. In fact, Pasti’s is located in what was once the Roswell movie theater. It’s fun for me to go back and try to remember what had originally been in the stores that now house antique shops and tearooms. If you ever find yourself in Roswell, I highly recommend Pasti’s. Yum. Although, dinner there was not what I meant by weight control!

Ta, ta for now.
Peggy

No comments: