Thursday, September 18, 2008

Week 6

Okay, week 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, and 7 weren’t so great either. Between the four of us two have been working two jobs each, one organizing a week-long conference, one with some health issues and one who lost an 18-year old, four-legged companion. But now, hopefully, all of us are back and ready to go. If not we need to be because we are six weeks away from the 3-Day.
A few years back 37206 (zip code for East Nashville) bumper stickers were created. They have become very popular locally and a big hit with the media. They show the funk, the sass and the attitude that exist here in East Nashville.
· 37206 – Over the river into the hood.
· 37206 – Where everyone knows your name your dog’s name.
· 37206 – Do you know where your lawnmower is tonight?
· 37206 – My other home is in Belle Mede. (the affluent part of Nashville)
· 37206 – Where we will steal your heart and your lawnmower.
It’s fun to walk around the neighborhood early in the morning before folks have left for work and school and read bumper stickers. However, the last few weeks I haven’t been walking much and especially not alone because of a rash of violent acts in our neighborhood. I have been scared, angry and falling way behind in my training.
This past Saturday I was attempting to get some miles in when a series of events made me determined to sell my house, at probably a big loss, and move to a log cabin in the woods to write my manifesto, but then I went to Sweet 16th . Sweet 16th is the most wonderful bakery in the continental US and probably beyond. It is run by Dan and Ellen, with a lot of help from Al, and they provide not only great bakery items but a wonderful place to greet old friends and meet new folks. I had a large order (lots of out-of- town folks for the weekend—Whatever!). As I’m waiting for Dan to fill my order, this young man asked me if I was a breast cancer survivor (I had on my breast-cancer, pink ribbon cap). I explained that I wasn’t, but was doing the Atlanta 3-Day Walk in October. He said that his sister-in-law was a survivor. When I told him I would like to put her name on our “in honor of” list, he said he would like to be a sponsor. WOW! Following this wonderful encounter, I spoke to one of our councilmen and his young son, Nashville’s vice mayor (a breast cancer survivor) and then a close friend who has already sponsored Kristen and me. So, I’m thinking, maybe East Nashville isn’t such a bad place after all.
This past week, I learned that everything is a trade off. Sometimes things get scary over here, but I love the fact that I can walk to almost anything that I need. I may not do it every time, but I still have it as an option. I love the fact that I can walk exactly one block and be sitting at Sky Blue, a lovely coffee house/bistro, run by Kara and Kevin with some of the best servers in Nashville. I love the fact that if I had a problem, my biggest concern would be who to call first for help. I guess what I’m saying is I’m in love with 37206!
Ta, Ta for now
Peggy

No comments: